In a watermill, the waterwheel is the primary source of power to operate the mill. Without a wheel, and an adequate supply of water, a watermill cannot work. Although the mill pond still survives, New Hall Mill lost the water supply
from the Ebrook into the mill pond when river realignment was undertaken in 1969 - 1971 to reduce flooding in the Sutton Coldfield area. The mill now relies upon springs near New Hall and local land drainage and runoff into the remaining length of the original leat and recycling the water from the waterwheel.

The wheel is an external overshot wheel, 11ft (3.35m) in diameter and 6ft (1.83m) wide, fitted with 36 buckets supported by two sets of six cast iron arms on an 8" iron shaft. The name "T. Price" is cast into the shrouds but it is believed the wheel was made by George Turton of Kidderminster, most likely in the 1870's or 1880's. The bucket risers and sole boards were originally wooden but with the last miller rarely recycling the water in the collecting tank back to the mill pond, those at the bottom of the wheel remained in the water leading to them becoming waterlogged and rotten and
the wheel unbalanced. They were therefore replaced by galvanised steel sheets in early 1997.

The speed of the waterwheel is controlled by the Penstock, adjusted by the miller from inside the mill. Apart for the Millstones, the only other items of machinery powered by the waterwheel are the Aspirator and the meal screw feeder. After leaving the wheel, the water flows through a culvert under the mill and mill cottage and into a collecting tank located in the original mill tailrace. From there it is recycled back to the mill pond by an automatic electric pump.